Gerry O'Sullivan Mediator's Toolkit book
Training Events
penguins arguing
Two-day Training Programme: Moving Through Conflict


MII Professional Certified Mediation Training

See main menu for details of full training courses and one-day introduction courses


Mediation News

Mediation Act 2017
Mediation Context in Ireland

MII Mediator Training - Overview

 

Mediation Role Play Trainees from the October 2013 course taking part in a role play exercise

If you wish to become a professional and competent mediator, with high quality mediation training and practice, then you require an O’Sullivan Solutions 60 hour plus mediator training programme. The Mediators’ Institute of Ireland (MII) sets very high standards regarding its accreditation process and after extensive international research it concluded that the minimum amount of training required to attain the quality competency level of a mediator is 60 hours.

Anything less, is less.

O’Sullivan Solutions offers mediation training in line with the MII requirements. Participants who pass the assessment will be accredited as O’Sullivan Solutions certified mediators and they will also have the option of applying to the MII for membership, should they choose to do so. www.themii.ie.

“You can be confident that on completing this training you will understand what good mediation is and what it can achieve, you will be familiar with the skills it requires, and you will have commenced building your experience of putting these into practice. If competency in mediation skills is your goal – this course will not disappoint.”
Dr. Harriet Emerson, Independent Consultant, West Cork

O’Sullivan Solutions participants are assessed by an external MII recognized mediator assessor. O’Sullivan Solutions pass rate is 94.6% with the remaining 5.4% of participants passing after re-assessment. A highly satisfied 98.2% of participants have rated their satisfaction with the programme with a mark of 5/5.

“Gerry is really inspirational and her enthusiasm for this area of work is certainly very import and very evident. I cannot recommend her highly enough.”
Bronagh O’Hanlon, S.C.

“The course compelled you to experience the role of a mediator many times by the use of countless interactive role plays and scenarios until such time as you became comfortable and confident in the role of a mediator. Gerry is an excellent mentor and teacher.”
Aoife Thornton, Pierse and Fitzgibbon Solicitors, Listowel

Certification

This is a generic mediation training course for those who wish to work in a broad sector of mediation. For transparency and accountability purposes, O’Sullivan Solutions chooses to contract an external Mediators’ Institute of Ireland (MII) recognized assessor. On passing this assessment, participants are accredited by O’Sullivan Solutions and have the option of applying to the MII to practice as a “Certified Mediator” under their aegis. Those wishing to practice as a family/separating couples mediator under the aegis of the MII will need to do an additional and mandatory 32 hour training through that institute.

Currently there is no national regulation of mediators in Ireland, but the Mediation Bill is planned to go through the Dail at the end of 2013 and O’Sullivan Solutions will comply with any additional training requirements identified as necessary in this Bill.

Unique aspects of the mediator training programme offered by O’Sullivan Solutions


Mediation Experience

Gerry is a Practitioner mediator with the Mediators’ Institute of Ireland, trained and certified in Organizational & Workplace Mediation, Community Mediation, Separating Couples Mediation and in Civil & Commercial Mediation and she has been practicing in the field of conflict resolution since the early 1990s. 

Mediator Training Experience

As well as delivering on O’Sullivan Solutions mediator training programmes bi-annually in Ireland, Gerry has delivered mediation training to students undertaking a “Masters of Arts in Peace and Development Studies” in the University of Limerick. She has also delivered mediator training outside Ireland, in Cuba in partnership with CEDR U.K. and she has assisted in mediation training in Serbia.

Training Expertise

Gerry O’Sullivan has been developing and delivering training programmes for over 27 years. Gerry has a Diploma in Adult and Continuing Education from National University of Ireland, Maynooth and she worked as an assessor of trainers for that body. She has delivered Training for Trainers programmes, provided Support and Supervision for trainers and adapted training programmes for radio presentation.  Gerry assisted in the delivery of advanced Commercial Mediation training in Beograde, Serbia.

Back to the top